Prof. Michael Wertheimer
Professor emeritus, University of Colorado at Boulder, USA
Michael Wertheimer earned a BA from Swarthmore College, MA from The Johns Hopkins University, and PhD, in experimental psychology, from Harvard University. He taught three years at Wesleyan University before going in 1955 to the University of Colorado at Boulder, becoming full professor in 1961 and professor emeritus in 1993.
For almost 40 years MW directed the departmental honors program in psychology at Colorado; he also directed doctoral programs in experimental psychology and sociocultural psychology. MW has published several hundred articles and is author, coauthor, editor, or coeditor of dozens of books; his scholarly foci included perception, cognition, psycholinguistics, the teaching of psychology, and the history of psychology.
MW is a member of the Advisory Board of Gestalt Theory - An International Multidisciplinary Journal
MW is coeditor of the first four volumes of the series Portraits of Pioneers in Psychology, copublished by APA and Erlbaum (the fourth volume of which appeared in 2000); also published in 2000 was the fourth edition of his A Brief History of Psychology (Harcourt, Brace).
MW has been president of four APA divisions (general psychology, teaching of psychology, theoretical and philosophical psychology, and history of psychology), the Rocky Mountain Psychological Association, and Psi Chi. Recipient of two national awards for the teaching of psychology and of several awards for service, he has been member or chair of many APA boards and committees and served numerous terms on the APA Council of Representatives. In 2000, APA's Division 26 presented him a "lifetime achievement award for sustained, outstanding, and unusual contributions to the history of psychology."
Michael Wertheimer published in Gestalt Theory - An International Journal
Max Wertheimer. Gestalt Prophet. Gestalt Theory 2 (1/1980), 3-17.
- On the Occasion of the Fiftieth Anniversary of Max Wertheimer's Death. Gestalt Theory 15 (3-4/1993), 165-171.
- Zum Briefwechsel Wolfgang Metzger - Max Wertheimer 1929-1937. Gestalt Theory 19 (4/1997), 263-265.
- Gestalt Theory and Psychopathology (with K. Crochetière, N. Vicker, J. Parker & D.B. King). Gestalt Theory 23 (2/2001), 144-154.
- Max Wertheimer's Research on Aphasia and Brain Disorders (with V. Sarris). Gestalt Theory 23 (4/2001), 267-277.
- Review: Court/Janssen: Wilhelm Benary (1888-1955) - Leben und Werk. Gestalt Theory 26 (1/2004), 74-78..
Prof. Michael Wertheimer
University of Colorado, Department of Psychology
Muenzinger Psychology Building, Campus Box 345
Boulder, Colorado 80309
Email: Prof. Michael Wertheimer